Monday, April 7, 2014

He does not abandon


"When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, 'The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.' 'But sir,' Gideon replied, 'if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our fathers told us about when they said, 'Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?' But now the Lord has abandoned us and put us into the hand of Midian.' The Lord turned to him and said, 'Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?'"
                                                                                 Judges 6:12-14

I don't really have a great epiphany, and I'm not really sure what to make of God's response here in regards to my own life. But, I find comfort in Gideon's response. The exact thoughts I've had and words I've prayed, as we have been in this challenging and unstable position for almost a year, now. Not having clear answers or direction, not being in a great situation, not feeling settled. Almost a year of this leads you to wonder "Has God forgotten me?" You know it's not true, but your heart and mind can't help but feel distant and alone. It's reassuring to find scripture that seems to come right from your heart- even if it doesn't give you an answer or solve your problems, there's peace in knowing that you are understood.

When things are going great, or when life seems to constantly hit dead ends and meet closed doors- He is still there. He is still just as involved in your life, even when you're fleeting heart can't sense Him. It's your fear, feelings, and faith that change and move up and down- not Him. He is unchanging, His love is everlasting. He is present, He is intimately and intricately involved.

"Hear my voice when I call, O Lord;
   be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, 'See his face!'
   Your face, Lord, I will seek.
Do not hide your face from me,
   do not turn your servant away in anger;
   you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
   O God my Savior.
Though my father and mother forsake me,
   The Lord will receive me.
Teach me your way, O Lord;
   lead me in a straight path
   because of my oppressors.
Do not turn me over to my foes,
   for false witnesses rise up against me,
   breathing out violence.

I am still confident of this:
   I will see the goodness of the Lord
   in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
   be strong and take heart
   and wait for the Lord."

     { Psalm 27: 7-14 }


Image found here //

2 comments: