Thursday, February 6, 2014

birthday scripture love


I got an idea from a good friend, who, each year on her birthday, reads the chapter and verse of each book in the Bible of the month and day she was born on. For example, my birthday is 02/04, so I would read the 2nd chapter and 4th verse in each book. Isn't this a cute and fun idea? It feels like each scripture was hand-picked for you and your special day, and you get to read it and think about why it was chosen. Though I've done it before, yesterday while I was reading, many of the scriptures were so moving. It was special for me to read so many powerful scriptures in one sitting, and to be reminded of the stories and the character of God. Here are a few that stood out to me...

---
"This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created." {Genesis 2:4} -- my birthday scripture highlights the beginning of creation? um… pretty awesome.

"His sister stood at a distance to see what would happen to him." {Exodus 2:4} -- what a monumental time in bible history. Miriam looking on as baby Moses floats down the river and is taken into the arms of his new mother, Pharaoh's wife. Imagine all she must have been feeling as she quietly watched and prayed and fought to put her trust in God!

"But the woman had taken the two men and hidden them. She said, 'Yes, the men came to me, but I did not know where they had come from.'" {Joshua 2:4}-- the powerful story of Rahab, who was a non-believing prostitute, but hid the Jewish spies and allowed them to escape back to freedom… which ultimately landed her a spot in the lineage of Jesus and accredited as being one of the most faithful women in history!

"He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love." {Song of Songs 2:4}

"He will judge between the nations and will settle dispute for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore." {Isaiah 2:4}-- this is one of my favorites and one of the most beautiful scriptures that describes the Kingdom of Heaven. I really felt that God picked this one out as my birthday scripture especially for me.

"When he had called together all the people's chief and priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born." {Matthew 2:4} -- the birth of Jesus.

"'Dear woman, why do you involve me?' Jesus replied. My time has not yet come.'" {John 2:4} His first miracle, and the famous interaction with his mother :)

---
What about you? Try it on your birthday, and let me know what scriptures speak to and encourage you!

Image Found Here //

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I wish I didn't have to wait 5 months. I want to do it now!
    xoxomom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so fun! you will just have to wait for 07/03… :)

      Delete