Thursday, August 15, 2013

those sandy beaches...


Don't you love long walks on the beach? I think it's one those things that almost all people, no matter who they are or where they're from, can appreciate. Perhaps as humans, there's something inside of us that likes recognizing and being in awe of just how small we are, and just how beautiful the earth really is. But then there's that smaller few (and possibly older...) that find their pleasure in searching for shells and other treasures that the ocean waves bring ashore. Well, I've crossed over to that side- and this beach was a collector's dream...



Surprisingly, I did not see many sea shells as I have during years of vacationing at Florida beaches. Instead, this beach was covered with... rocks. Hear me out- not big chunky, "get in your way and hurt your feet," dull, grey rocks. But small, smooth, round rocks of many different colors. They covered the shore and spread onto the ocean floor. Even what looked like sand, was really just tiny broken down pieces of colorful rocks. Stick your hand into the ground at the shoreline, and this is what your fist comes out with:



I thought they were all just so beautiful- especially when they are in the water, wet and smooth and glistening in the sunlight. I spent the majority of my time sitting and sifting through, collecting way too many, finding it hard to say "no" to some of them and throwing them back in the water. Does this officially make me an old lady? :)


Andrew was my rock collecting police...


And a few more pictures from our sunset walk...






This weekend we are heading to a small town on the Dominican Border, Anse-a-pitres. It's in Haiti, but the roads are so bad and it's so isolated that you have to actually go through the Dominican Republic in order to get to it! We are going to see an orphanage run by a French man we have recently befriended. The structure of the orphanage has apparently changed the entire small, extremely poor community. It will be an adventure finding this place... but we are looking forward to it! I'm not sure if I will be able to update, so if not, have a wonderful weekend.

P.S. Exactly one month from today we will be in the U.S.!

xo


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I wish I could see it in real life! Enjoy it all - your time there will soon be a memory, but it will change you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and I don't think that enjoying beauty of the ocean and all the little shells and rocks makes you old; it only shows that you can take time to appreciate and observe the uniqueness that is located just below your feet.
    I hope your trip this weekend went well. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Dad-- i'm fine with being older if it makes me wiser :)

      Delete