Friday, September 25, 2015

an apple and a river


Six years ago today is a special day for Andrew and me. We frequently explored the outdoors of Athens, each with an apple in tow for a snack. One day we found a spot by the river, and he pulled an apple out of his bag and asked me to be his girlfriend. He knows I am sentimental, so he had even bought a fake apple and written on it so that I could keep it! I said yes, and then as I lunged forward to give him an awkward sitting hug, I proceeded to accidentally kick the apple over the rock cliff and into the river below. Whoops.


I would have liked to have been able to keep the apple, to have it bring up a sweet memory each time I came across it in a box or on a shelf. But I guess not having it is a symbol for me not to hold onto material things, or to be stuck in nostalgia- but to appreciate each moment for what it is... To keep the past close to my heart, but to make room for and enjoy the presence, as well.


Since that day, we've seen graduations, marriage, living internationally, starting real jobs, and having a baby- and we are still so early on our journey. I love the things we've done together, and I am excited for all that's to come... but what I love most is that we are together now. What a joy it is to grow up and grow old with you!

xo


First two photos by Gracie Blue Photography // Last photo by Hannah Forsberg

No comments:

Post a Comment