Monday, July 28, 2014

treat yo'self


If you haven't been able to tell by my lack of blogging last week, things have been busy around here. I think the 9-5 grind is finally catching up with us (more like 8-6 for Andrew...), as we've been hitting the hay earlier and earlier each night. With family in town, a dog to sit, a new morning workout routine, dinner with new friends, and a full on marriage workshop this past weekend, we've had a full 7 previous days. Now summer will be winding down and schedules will be getting back to somewhat consistent (did I spy BOOTS at Target yesterday?! Yay! Fall is upon us.), and hopefully we can begin to build a little more of a stable routine.


In the mean time, I wanted to share a recipe that has become a new go-to for me in the busy mornings. About two months ago, I cut out all meat, dairy, wheat, and sugar from my diet. It's been a slow transformation, and transformation is the key word. I still allow myself some exceptions on some occasions, but for the most part, I want the food I eat to be mainly fruit, vegetables, seeds, beans, lentils, etc. So... that can leave one to wonder "what in the world do I eat that is actually filling and doesn't require hours of preparation and exotic ingredients?" I give you... Chia Pudding. 

Have you ever had Chia seeds? I fell in love about a year and a half ago when Andrew's mother introduced them to me. Here's the trick- you let them sit in water for about 10 minutes, and they form a gel like layer around the seed and soak up the water, leaving you with a pudding like consistency- think tapioca. So, if the texture of rice pudding sends shivers down your spine, then this recipe is not for you. But, if you want a clean digestive system and a fun texture party in your mouth, scoop away.



Jenna's Chia Pudding

Ingredients:
1/4 Cup Organic Chia Seeds
2/3 Cup Water
2/3 Cup Organic Blueberries
2/3 Cup Organic Strawberries (cut into bite-size pieces)
1 Tbs Coconut flakes (optional)

Directions:
Mix chia seeds and water in a normal size bowl and place in refrigerator. 
Let sit for 10-20 minutes, or until all liquid is gone consistency is thick and gel-like.
Gently mix in blueberries, strawberries (or other desired fruit), and optional coconut flakes. 

That's it! Quick, easy, and simple food that still tastes great and leaves you feeling like you truly love your body and treat it well. I also usually have a banana or a green smoothie for a little extra filling (my morning hunger trumps most). Give it a try, play around with it, and let me know what recipes you create!

xoxo

P.S. Have a sweet tooth and need a little more "oomph"? Check out this Vanilla Chia Pudding recipe. 
(And source of these lovely images.)



2 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of you blog post from Haiti where you explained having to give up this way of eating while living there! haha Kraft Mac and Cheese! I'm so inspired that you've given up added sugars. That is my satan/addiction and I keep talking about eliminating it too. Phew the thought of it scares me but maybe I should just step out and be brave like you! *worried face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah those were the days... eating like i was in college and actually losing weight because we were eating so little and sweating all day long! Not worth it :)
      And eliminating sugar really isn't that bad! The key word is transition. And if you don't have it in the house, it's 100x easier!

      Delete