Monday, April 14, 2014

Furniture Restoration Reveal: it's all in the details


As I've previously mentioned, I have been working on a few DIY projects over the last couple of months. It's definitely been interesting. What I thought would be a fun weekend project, has turned into several months of bumps and dead ends. It isn't as simple as I thought it would be- so much goes into the design and functionality of restoration, beyond just a simple coat of paint and some cute knobs.


Alas, I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and this week will {finally} produce some wonderful results. Here are some pictures of one of my pieces, a dresser from Goodwill I found for $14, before the renovation. Click below to see the final product...





Voila! A new coat of white paint and some more modern knobs from Hobby Lobby and we have something at least a little bit more attractive :) (Rainy day here, sorry for the poor lighting in the pics!)


One of my favorite parts of this dresser re-do are the knobs. I love the simplicity of the wooden ones combined with the vintage, teal look of the middle handles, creating an all around rustic feel on an otherwise chic white piece. 


I also lined the inside of the drawers with canvas-looking wrapping paper, secured in place by white thumbtacks (which were a pain to insert and I only kept my sanity through having my husband's help). I got inspiration from this awesome tutorial on creating liners out of fabric, but decided to go the super cheap route :) And I just love the cute detail between the drawers!

Because of the small size of the dresser, I think it'd make a great TV stand or even a diaper changing table for a baby & new mama. We'll see if there's enough room for it in our future tiny apartment- if not, I'll try to make a sale and see if I can turn over a profit ;) 

xo

2 comments: