Monday, April 28, 2014

Furniture Restoration Reveal: if at first you don't succeed, try again


Here we go with round 3- the coffee table // bench // storage chest. I found this guy on Craigslist and while there was little to no structural work involved, the cosmetics had their own tricks up their sleeve. This was another trial and error project, where I literally had to start over and "redo" it all again a few times in order to fix some mistakes- sanding, staining, and sealing will do that to you if you're a first timer!


Check out the lovely stain on top. And the knicks and scratches on the sides add such character, no? ;) 
Click below for the finished product...





I opted out of sanding and staining the sides with all of it's dents and details, and just decided to give it a fresh coat of paint. I stuck with the original hardware (mama's idea). It's not pictured, but I also sanded the inside of the chest to remove the unwanted scratches and marks from a toddler with a crayon :) Oh, and don't forget the sanding, staining, sealing process of the lid- which I repeated an unmentionable number of times...


You know you have a great piece when 1) it's solid wood 2) it can be used for storage. Though the paint color didn't quite turn out exactly as I was hoping (I was going for more of a dull grey than a soft blue), it's still one of my favorite pieces with what I believe could be the most resale value. Mama has her eye on it, so we'll see if this one stays in the family or ventures out into the world :)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment