Monday, December 9, 2013

saying goodbye


Friday morning, at the age of 82, my Poppop left this present world. This past year has been a long, hard battle both for him and his family, and while his passing brings mourning and sadness, it also brings peace- because he was a good man who loved the Lord and led his family to do so, and because he is no longer trapped in a old, dying body. I am filled with sincere joy as I imagine being able to see him again one day, but for who he truly is, in a body that is alive and strong. 


There is a photo from when I was about 5 or 6 of him teaching me to rollerblade, hand in hand, our backs to the camera. We reenacted the shot at our wedding, and they will always be framed side by side in whichever house Andrew and I call home. He was a special man who loved his grandkids deeply.


I am so proud of this family for their resilience and strength over the last couple of months. With the recent passing of Uncle Hank, and now PopPop, we've shared some really tough moments; it will be tough for a while. But I am filled with more love for each of the 17 (now 18, with A), and already feel even more bonded and connected to them. Man, it is good to have a wonderful family!

Along with 9 (plus Andrew) grandkids, 2 sons, and 3 daughters-in-law, Poppop leaves behind his beloved bride of 63 years. The left picture is of their wedding day, and the right was taken just a week ago. They remained by each other's sides and shared the deepest love right into his death, and I believe even death can't take that love away; it will cross right over into eternity with him. I have been so impressed by Grammy and her faithfulness to God, constantly clinging to His promises and striving for peace that passes understanding.


My good friend, Gayle, also had her grandmother pass away this weekend. Her and I have shared and bonded over some similar life moments, transitions, and feelings this year. Please be praying for her and her family as well as they reflect on and rejoice over a life well lived, and mourn the loss of her presence.



It is such a good gift to have family that we can love- I think the sadness and how much we miss our loved ones only reveals how deep and special the love really is. I am so grateful because it means I have people to love and to love me back. 

The memories I will hold onto are:
-Every year up until about 9th grade, begging and going with Poppop and Dad to the golf course the day after Thanksgiving just so I could drive the golf cart.
-Poppop telling me, whenever he got a hair cut, that he got into a fight with a lawn mower. 
-His infamous "25 by 85" speech (wanting 25 people in our family by the time he is 85. There are currently 18, so we've got 3 years to contribute another 7 ;) )
-At every holiday event, we all had to spend at least an hour doing karaoke, which he would record on cassette tapes, and then play back and listen to (on his own) immediately after our jam session, while we were all still there...
-The feeling of his big, tough, weathered, wrinkly, veiny hands and how to me, he always smelled of listerine and cologne


"Soon we'll reach the shining river, soon our pilgrimage will cease, soon our happy hearts will quiver with the melody of peace…"

xo

First 3 images by Gracie Blue Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment