Thursday, November 14, 2013

Jacmel photographs and Haiti musings


While I still feel confident and happy with our decision to move back to the U.S., I find myself thinking about Haiti- what we would be doing, how I might be feeling, what our friends there are doing at this exact moment, what the weather is… I got out of the shower this morning and remembered how I spent three months without hot water, sometimes showering from a bucket of water, flushing with a bucket, using only bottled water to brush our teeth… And then how quickly hot water felt normal once coming back to the states, using sink water was immediately once again habit… how luxurious it would have all felt in Haiti. 


While we were in Boston last week, we got the chance to see one of our friends from church in Port-au-Prince. She had to move to the U.S. for a few months, leaving her new husband (as of June) in Haiti because he does not have a visa.  She is living with her mother outside of Boston, and taking English classes. Seeing her reminded me of the bond we have formed with these people- one that is so strong that it transcends countries, cultures, and languages.


xo


No comments:

Post a Comment